and the things you should ask them before booking
Let’s be honest, hiring a wedding photographer can be one of the most important decisions you make for your wedding. But how do you know what to ask? Where do you even start searching? Here are a couple of tips to keep in mind while searching for a photographer:
- They have a shooting and editing style you resonate to. If their photographs look candid and documentary, then that’s the style your wedding photos will be taken in. If they edit more on the dark and moody side, then that’s what your photos will look like in the end. Make sure you love everything about their style.
- Keep your budget in mind, but let this be one of the things you splurge on. These photos are going to be the only thing you’ll have to keep your memory of your day alive (unless you book a videographer), so make sure the photographer you invest in can capture every detail, every moment.
- Check Instagram for local photographers. Even if you’re traveling, ask your photographer if they travel too. Try search terms and tags like #wisconsinweddingphotographer
Now that you’ve found a couple of photographers that works resonate with you and you’ve sent an initial inquiry, I suggest hopping on the phone or Zoom so that you can chat with them face to face. This way, you can see if y’all’s personalities click and you can get to know each other more.
MAKE SURE YOU LIKE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER AS A PERSON.
Trust me when I say, if you’re a Type B Personality and your photographer’s a Type A, your personalities might clash. If you love your dog and want them to be a part of your day, but your photographer hates dogs, do you want them photographing your wedding?
Okay, so you have a phone call scheduled, but now what the heck do you ask them? If your photographer doesn’t already answer these questions, I suggest asking the following (of course, only if these are important for you to know):
- What would happen in case of an emergency where you can’t make it or your equipment malfunctions?
- How do you back up our photos?
- Are there any hidden fees like processing fees, taxes, or travel fees that aren’t included in the initial collection price?
Now, it’s time to make a decision! Who do you find yourself drawn to the most? Who can offer you a stress-free experience? Who has good reviews? Who will you love hanging out with all day on your wedding day? Who is going to prioritize YOU?
Hint, the answer is me for all of the above questions.